By: Alison R
Dreams and goals are the backbone of society and innovation. They are the birthplace of human ambition. And a person without a dream or goal is only a shell of his or her full potential.
Dreams or major goals are so important for a number of reasons including:
- Dreams motivate you to do your best and reach your full potential
- Dreams provide you with positive energy and help to keep you going through hard times
- Dreams keep you focused on what’s really important.
- Dreams help you define yourself as the type of person you’d want to be.
- Dreams keep you excited about life and the possibilities of the future.
by Frank Niles, Ph.D.
In life and work, success begins with a goal. It could be losing weight, asking for a raise, quitting smoking or starting your own business. Big or small, goals give us purpose and, like a compass, keep us headed in the right direction. Of course, it then takes lots of hard work and determination to reach your destination.
Writing over 2,000 years ago, Aristotle described the process this way: “First, have a definite, clear, practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends: wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end.”
Unfortunately, many of us remain stuck at the goal stage. We start out with good intentions and perhaps a plan, but then we can’t seem to make it happen.
There are countless reasons that this occurs — busyness, impatience, fear and negative social pressures are some of the usual culprits — so how do we respond to these challenges and move in the direction of our goal? Fortsätt läsa